Thursday, December 2, 2010

I suppose I've never really been a 'purist' dj. I mean, I prefer to spin vinyl but if -you- wanted to rock CDs or virtual dj'ing, I frankly could care less what your preferred tools are so long as you get the job done.

It's true that the dancefloor cares about a few things. (Dance) Music should (usually) be beatmatched. Music should be played from a suitable quality recording. Music should also be appropriate to the event. What the dancefloor doesn't really care about is HOW you accomplish those goals... which is where I'm struggling to see why some DJs are so vehemently luddite when it comes to virtual DJ systems or even hardware DJ gear.

I don't see a single reason why I should spend time beatmatching tracks if software can do it better and faster - and allow for seamless loops and hotcue points in the track that allow me to -remix- rather than just mix tracks. I fail to see how it's "cheating" or somehow a lesser-quality performance if I use these tools. Drummers play to click tracks, electronic musicians don't manually sync arpeggiators and drum machines - no, that's why there's a MIDI clock signal. I don't see how manual beatmatching - when there are good tools available - makes me a better DJ (though I agree it's a good skill to have for times where the tools are unavailable).

With Traktor - especially the new Kontrol S4 - I'm completely sold on software djing. Due to virtual dj software's capabilities, I am able to create, rather than replay. Not having to worry about clocking and sync'ing tracks (and maintaining that sync) means a lot more time to work with elements of tracks, rather than whole tracks. Loops and samples forming a library of material at my disposal. With full MIDI control out - including clock out - my world is open even further, to include sequencers and actual gear.

I only hope that electronic music hasn't truly waned in popularity... because these recent improvements in capabilities for DJs promise to take the experience to an entirely different, more energetic, more complex level.

No comments:

Post a Comment