Got this dj gig at about the very last minute; and it's my first gig spinning strictly mp3's... which is pretty insane considering I've got a vault of vinyl records sitting in brookline that are entirely unavailable on mp3.
Great. Two days to pull together an hour and a half of music that I'd spin at a club, on mp3. On top of working nearly 60 hours already this week (it's only friday)... and it's been something like four years since my last formal gig.
So I've been forced to source from my cd collection, which has been interesting to say the least. I've dusted off some stuff that I've probably only ever heard outside of my house once - and that was when a roommate spun it. I've also pulled some interesting newer stuff from my recent sourcing expeditions - so I'll be dropping some electroswing, some nujazz, and some funky stuff that I've got no idea what the real genre should be other than just cool shit.
But I did kind of take this gig intending to completely sandbag it - going to play some tracks that I'd like to try out in clubs, and play some other tracks that I'd never spin billed under my dj name, but under my new alter-alias... sure. I'll be taking the technical stuff pretty easy, as I'm a complete newbie to djing on virtual dj systems, but I've downloaded the software and been playing with it a bit ahead of time and I think it'll be technically pretty sound (though the software has difficulty finding the beat correctly with a lot of my stuff, but, whatever).
I expect tonight's going to kind of be like manually removing a rib to fellate myself. Messy, painful... offensive to some... but ultimately totally worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment