I kind of prepared some things to say here about djing on Friday, but I'm going to opt out of them as this isn't really meant to be a personal journal per se. Things went as well as I'd wanted, which is to say that I accomplished a return to form without much difficulty.
I will say that djing with mp3s or virtual/digital dj systems is very, very different. The disconnect between you and the music is interesting; with turntables you adjust speed by touching something; be it the spinning platter, the record itself, the spindle... with an mp3, you're clicking a mouse or pushing a button. I'm not sure I like it - as I left djing from CD quite some time ago due to the same reasons (though mostly due to pitch-adjust and key lock filters really destroying the music) but thankfully the higher-end systems combine the best of both worlds. After careful review I've chosen traktor scratch pro; similar to serato scratch, the control input is actually your own turntables, using a special digital timecoded record. It's tons of fun, even just rocking tracks in your bedroom for cute girls lounging in their skivvies to enjoy.
All in all, it was a successful night; and though the (tiny) crowd was most definitely not my target demographic, I was told that people were actually coming in from off the streets just due to what they were overhearing... that's a pretty big win, especially considering we were in the ass-end of downtown providence with virtually no foot traffic. Still, it was the first time I'd had to struggle to keep a dancefloor going, as this night centered around resident djs who preferred to play cheese such as one might find on "Greatest Internet Memes vol 4 - Lightstick Raves"... which is notedly lower-brow than I generally cater to.
I did have one bit of my set recorded and will post that here soon as I get my mitts on it.
No comments:
Post a Comment