Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Audio Genesis Device

We've had many discussions about how best to found and promote a night... but let's take the conversation up a notch:

How does one go about intentionally creating a scene?

It doesn't happen often - usually it requires a new genre of dance music, a DJ willing and able to spin it, and a promoter that is in-touch with enough of an audience.

I am considering embarking on such a task, so I figured here is as good a place as any to vet my plan. One of the genres I have been focusing on is gaining traction in the area, and I think it's time to consider founding not just a night, but fostering a scene.

To do so, I think I'm going to have to do the following:

  1. Identify the audience
    • As this is a fairly new style of music, but one rooted in familiarity, there is a lot of crossover from a variety of scenes - without being a direct competition or threat to any. Find and document all events held by all crossover scenes. Estimate potential audience.
  2. Discover and assist willing DJs
    • There are definitely DJs interested in this genre, but no one is spinning exclusively in it.
  3. Research and approach appropriate venues
    • As with any dance night, venue is critical
  4. Promote the music
    • People need familiarity. If I learned one thing from the nights I've been loosely involved with, it's that mixes help A LOT towards building a scene.
  5. Promote the event(s)
    • Find promoters who you trust and want to work with, and saturate the new potential audience with teaser mixes and eventually, promotions for the first night.
It sounds like a lot of work... I think I'm capable of it though, and now I have a list started.

No comments:

Post a Comment