It should be clear that me linking you to tracks you might like is blatantly against copyright restrictions.
It should also be clear that without people (such as your humble narrator) free to spread the word about otherwise copyrighted content... music would not spread and flourish the way it has in the internet era.
Instead of blacking out my blog... I'm going to link you to some more awesome music, noting that this action would result in all of Blogger being blocked from the internet.
Without others' sharing copyrighted music, I would never have been able to spread music to each of you. I would never have been able to buy the music I enjoy - because I would never have found it. The sites I use to research new music will be shut down, without question.
But where this really gets hairy, is this:
Flevans - Easy Go (feat Kylie Auldist) by Flevans
Even the perfectly legal - and encouraged - act of embedding an artist's track from soundcloud is enough to have not just this blog, but Blogger.com shut down for POTENTIAL copyright violations without due process. Even though the artist asked us to share his work, this site could be shut down. And even though your own blog might have nothing copyrighted on it... you would be shut down too.
Call your congressmen. Tell them you oppose SOPA and PIPA, and that enabling mass censorship is not the answer.
No comments:
Post a Comment