I've been a musician most of my life; I come from a very musical (though not terribly accomplished) family. I started with piano lessons from like age 7 onward, clarinet in elementary school, programming electronic music as early as middle school on my commodore 64, keyboards in high school, cello in college, and lots of bits of other intruments in between (some sax, oboe, trumpet, guitar (terribly!)).
I've since assembled a bit of a home studio with quite a good bit of hardware, synths, etc. I've been in a number of bands and musical endeavors, producing solo as cosinezero, touring with GASR (dark political electronica), and performing under the names Omega Division (with longtime friend & inspiration Brad) and Ultra (both dark electro/breaks).
A long-ago ex recently sent me a backup of a track I'd thought I'd lost; this may be the first recorded track I'd ever released. It was an experiment in sampling; made up entirely of sampled sounds of R2D2. It's geeky, yes, but it's a really fun track and even today I'm in awe of how complex this track is (despite utterly terrible production quality in the recording - I wasn't into sound engineering back then).
So, thanks to wingnut, I am pleased to give you the first known recorded track by cosinezero - "Artoo, You're On Fire!". It's a hoot.
Some others; mostly from 1998-2002ish:
cosinezero - "Fist of the White Crane" (most recent, best mastering... I love this track. Kind of twostep? Not really sure what genre this would be nowadays...)
cosinezero - "Armageddon" (*terrible* mastering, still good lo-fi dark breakbeat (neurofunk?) track. Complex, aggressive synths... turn this one up!)
cosinezero - "Claustrophobia" (moody, heavy experimentation with filters. I really should re-do this and pep it up a bit... takes some time to develop.)
ultra - "Circumventilation" (moody, kind of slow, but it's got a pretty ending)
All that said, I've now finished the initial steps of setting up my studio in my new apartment, and last night started writing - only to find that while I totally understand breakbeat / broken beat (think hiphop, breaks, or dnb) that I didn't know how to write a swing beat. So, this week, I will be working with this -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swung_note ...and maybe soon start releasing some new tracks for you all to enjoy.
It's been far too long since I've been writing. I guess that's what dating someone who doesn't understand music will do to you; I had to stop hiding in my studio in favor of watching another blisteringly witty episode of "What Not To Wear". It should go without saying I feel much, much more alive now. Never fear, I've greatly expanded my musical interests in the past decade, and those influences should take my music in some really great directions.
Stay tuned - Don't touch that dial! No, really - Don't Touch That Dial! (Dynamix II)
No comments:
Post a Comment