After typing my AF Crew introductions, I should highlight some of my favorite dances and dancers so far. In contrast to the AF Crew, all my favorites get their real names, mostly because they deserve to revel in a bit of thanks and kudos for being awesome in their own rights (and so they can stop worrying if they're an AF'er ;) )
First and foremost: Andrea. I don't want to make this a terribly personal blog (elsewhere for that), and fawn all over the girl I show up to most dances with, but let's face it; I wouldn't be swing dancing if it wasn't for her. It truly didn't take convincing, but she definitely is patient zero for the passion for swing that has infected me. She's put up with me during some utterly terrible dances as I learn, and she's been (mostly) patient enough to let me rock out some entirely unsuccessful moves in experimentation. She's also let me influence her as well, enjoying new music from me and joining me to swing in clubs to djs dropping music that most wouldn't even consider dancing lindy to. She'll always have preference when I'm looking for someone to dance with.
Sami as well rightfully deserves mention. She was among the first followers to bravely dance with me (save for people at lessons) and has stood patiently by as I try to reconcile all the new counting, footwork, and movements against a long history of dancing solo in clubs. I'm proud to dance with her and show her my progress from week to week, and can't wait to repay her early patience and openness with a truly terrific dance.
Nina has, to date, shared two of my favorite, more comfortable dances - to blues, no less - one night a few weeks back. I've been learning Lindy from her as well in a class, though ironically enough when I danced with her to show her what I'd learned, I completely and totally lost all of it - fell right out of my head. I felt awful 'cause I really have learned a ton from their lessons, but I promise I'll be looking out for her to follow some really spectacular leads when I've got this down.
I really didn't want to call out people I've only shared one dance with (in favor of waiting for a more meaningful comment), but Tina is already firmly on my list of favorites, if not just for putting up with officially the slowest, most painful dance -yet-, and for following my "wipe sweat off forehead" lead. I knew she was going to be a favorite of mine when I first saw her the first night I'd been swing dancing - she was dressed to the nines in a really foxy, classy, classic outfit, which could only be properly described as 'Meow!'.
Two other followers deserve mention; Sarah and Wendy, both students with me in various classes. I believe Sarah has some prior experience; and I haven't actually had chance to dance with her outside of class, but she's solid, learns fast, listens to a lead, and is just really nice. I have often been stuck in class with an AF card-carrying member and found myself counting how many people until Sarah gets rotated to me so that I can actually think about learning instead of running after a follower who's decided it's OK to across the room. Wendy is clearly much less experienced but is visibly trying to learn and is willing to laugh at herself or my crappy jokes. Even if we're a long way from being stunning dancers, I greatly enjoy dancing with her.
There's a few other favorite followers, some of whom reading this and no doubt looking for their names. I want to reserve comments on them until I've something better to say than just "had a nice dance that one time" - because I'd rather tell my readers about this -awesome- dance we had, once we have it. Stay tuned... you'll have your name in lights soon enough.
In the meantime...
Flevans - "Small Room Syndrome"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWoCGTGPxHs
No comments:
Post a Comment